Pages

Monday, May 10, 2010

Windows Virtual PC

During the summer holidays I had planned to start the second course available at Stanford Engineering Everywhere http://see.stanford.edu/ . The course is Programming Abstractions. It required me to install Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, which runs perfectly on XP but creates hassles when you try to run it on Windows Vista or 7, So the Stanford Site only provided some links to patches so that one may be able to run VS 2005 on Vista or 7.

But I didn't download the patches instead I decided to install Microsoft Windows XP on my Dell which is preloaded with Windows 7. But the efforts to install XP always resulted in BSoD, Blue Screen of Death with Error code something like 00007b. I googled it, found some results also but before I could apply the changes in the BIOS or something as suggested by most of the forums I came across Windows Virtual PC. It's a feature of Windows 7 which allows you to run multiple Windows environment such as Windows XP. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Having installed the two updates and downloading the Windows XP Mode file, my problem was pretty much solved without wasting any time in installing the new Windows. And even more, you can even run the installed XP applications on Windows 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment